FW: posting for GHDOnline
Please post this announcement for the Encore Service Corps:
I am attaching information on a volunteer opportunity for nursing faculty - please do not respond to Lynda Wilson, but rather respond directly to Encore (<mailto:>). Best wishes! Lynda Wilson
Encore Service Corps International (Encore Service) is working with the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies (JnJ) to develop a program that will be part of JnJ's larger strategy to make nursing programs stronger in Africa. In this year of funding, three expert volunteers will build capacity at the Moi University School of Medicine, working primarily in the Department of Nursing, but also in the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, as appropriate. Moi University School of Medicine is located on a quiet campus in the small town of Eldoret in the cool of Northern Kenya.
Location: Eldoret, Kenya
Timeframe: Mid-October 2011 through late January 2012 OR early January to mid-April 2012
Length of assignment: 3 months
At the Department of Nursing (DON), volunteers prepared at the Master's level are needed to:
* Serve as temporary faculty, teaching one or more undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the core areas of nursing including pediatric and medical-surgical nursing and midwifery, as well as other Bachelor of Science level courses such as foundations of nursing, communication, informatics, and nursing research.
* PhD prepared volunteers will also mentor graduate students in maternal and neonatal nursing, as well as mentor faculty in research methods and publication of scholarly work.
* At Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH), volunteers may also work with the Chief Nurse to build the capacity of the MTRH Division of Nursing through consultation in quality improvement, professional development, nursing management, evidence based practice, and patient outcome evaluation.
*Coordinate and present Grand Rounds to both faculty and nurses at MTRH and in the community
* Maintain records for outcomes measurement and evaluation
* Reach out to inform others in the US about the university's work
Current licensure as a registered nurse
* BSN or equivalent, MS, MPH, DNP, or PhD with a major focus in nursing or related health care field
* 3-5 years experience teaching nursing theory and clinical application
* 3-5 years experience in designing and facilitating faculty workshops in professional development, teaching methods, curriculum development, current health care issues, research, or production of scholarly work
* 3-5 years experience in quality improvement, nursing management or administration
* A record of peer-reviewed scholarly work or research in area of expertise
* Experience living in a developing country
*Applicants who have experience with medical-surgical nursing, pediatric and neonatal nursing or midwifery will be given priority consideration for this term.
Costs: Airfare, emergency medical evacuation insurance, room/board and local transportation for the assignment will be provided. Volunteers are asked to cover the cost of their passport, visa and vaccinations, and maintain their own health insurance. Any personal travel is at the volunteer's expense. Volunteers will have a small budget for donations of equipment or books.
TO APPLY: Qualified volunteer candidates should submit a resume or CV, with a Statement of Interest, to <mailto:>. Please write JnJ Kenya and your name in the subject line. To be considered for an Encore Service Volunteer assignment, you must create or update your profile in our database: http://www.encoreservicecorps.org/join.cfm .
NOTE: Final candidates will also need to undergo a criminal background check and verification of current RN licensure.
For more information about the school go to http://www.chs.mu.ac.ke.
Lynda Law Wilson, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor
Assistant Dean for International Affairs and
Deputy Director, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center on International Nursing
School of Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham
NB 420, 1530 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35294-1210
Office Phone: (205) 934 6787 Cell Phone: (205) 306 1556 FAX: (205) 996 7183 email: <mailto:>
[cid:image001.png@01CC3BC9.ECB76910]<http://www.uab.edu/son>[cid:image002.png@01CC3BC9.ECB76910]<http://www.facebook.com/uabson> [cid:image003.png@01CC3BC9.ECB76910] <http://twitter.com/#!/UABSON>