Starting today, May 9, and running until May 20, GHDonline is pleased to host an expert panel discussion on the challenges of rolling-out the Xpert MTB/RIF diagnostic test, especially in resource-limited setttings.
- What factors and strategies are important to consider when integrating the Xpert MTB/RIF Diagnostic Test and GeneXpert system into current TB diagnosis and treatment plans, especially in areas with limited resources?
- What is the appropriate placement of Xpert MTB/RIF Diagnostic Test in the health care system taking into account operational considerations, burden of disease, human resources, supply chain management, and existing TB diagnostics?
- How can countries evaluate the impact of implementing the Xpert MTB/RIF Diagnostic Test and generate evidence for scaling-up?
Joining us for this panel are:
- Dr. Chris Gilpin, scientist at the Stop TB Department of the WHO and part of the team leading the roll-out of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay
- Dr. Daniela Cirillo from the San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Italy
- Dr. Eduardo Gottuzzo from the Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Peru who participated in the demonstration study
- Dr. Mark Perkins from FIND, the non-profit organization that co-developed the assay and led the evaluation and demonstration studies.
Does your organization plan on rolling-out the diagnostic test? Did you participate in the early implementers meeting organized by the WHO and and have you already faced challenges that you could share?
All GHDonline members can participate in this virtual discussion. Sign up to the community if you haven’t already joined and keep your email settings to “per post” to track the discussion live in your inbox.
Link leads to: http://www.ghdonline.org/drtb/discussion/ghdonline-expert-panel-challenges-in-rolling-out-t/
Summary: Rapid Implementation of the Xpert MTB/RIF diagnostic test. Technical and operational “How-to” Practical considerations. Stop Partnership, WHO.April 2011
Feasibility, diagnostic accuracy, and effectiveness of decentralised use of the Xpert MTB/RIF test for diagnosis of tuberculosis and multidrug resistance: a multicentre implementation study. The Lancet
Rapid Molecular Detection of Tuberculosis and Rifampin Resistance. N Engl J Med 2010
Cepheid Cares program to help make this revolutionary technology available to high burden developing countries and other technical information
CNN video on Xpert Diagnostic Test
Diagnostics for Tuberculosis: Global Demand and Market Potential, WHO
Source: Global Health Delivery Project
Keywords: diagnostics, Laboratory, Publications & Research