AVAC is pleased to announce the call for applications for 2018 Advocacy Fellows (www.avac.org/fellows-application-materials).
Consider applying to be an Advocacy Fellow and join the 56 Fellows and alumni of the program!
This update provides information on the Advocacy Fellows program, the application process, link to a short informational video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUTwcNOKZ8) and details on an upcoming informational call (cc.readytalk.com/registration/#/?meeting=5eizwp60va0y&campaign=v69u6e9q2s5d) for interested applicants to be held on Thursday, 10 August 2017.
The submission deadline for Advocacy Fellows applications is Friday, 8 September 2017.
Download application materials at www.avac.org/fellows-application-materials.
About the Program
AVAC’s Advocacy Fellows program (www.avac.org/fellows) was launched in 2009 with the goal to support and expand the capacity of advocates and organizations to monitor, support and help shape biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation worldwide. The program is guided by AVAC’s conviction that effective and sustainable advocacy grows out of work that reflects organizational and individual interests, priorities and partnerships.
The Advocacy Fellows program provides support to emerging and mid-career advocates to design and implement advocacy projects focused on biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation activities in their countries and communities. These projects are designed to address locally identified gaps and priorities. Fellows receive training, full-time financial support and technical assistance to plan and implement a targeted one-year project within host organizations working in HIV/AIDS or related advocacy. Host organizations are critical partners in the program and Fellows’ projects can be an opportunity for an organization to further develop its own work in this field.
The Fellows program focuses on low- and middle-income countries where clinical research on new biomedical HIV prevention options (such as long-acting PrEP, microbicides, multi-purpose prevention technologies, vaccines and related strategies) is planned or ongoing; sites of cure research; or where there is implementation or plans for rollout for proven interventions (such as voluntary medical male circumcision, PrEP, treatment on demand, high impact combination prevention packages) and where there is exploration of strategies for integration of HIV and sexual and reproductive health to reduce risk.
HIV Prevention Research Advocacy Fellows are:
- Emerging or mid-career community leaders and advocates involved or interested in advocacy around biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation.
- Individuals with some experience or education in the areas of HIV and AIDS, public health, international development, women’s rights, communications and/or advocacy with key populations, such as adolescent girls and young women, sex workers, gay men, other men who have sex with men and transgender women and people who inject drugs.
- Based in low- and middle-income countries (micconference.org/mic/list-of-mics/) where biomedical HIV prevention clinical research is planned and/or where implementation of combination prevention packages is planned, ongoing or emerging.
- Able to collaborate with English-speaking mentors.
Please visit www.avac.org/pxrd to identify countries where research and implementation is ongoing or planned and to learn more about the research. For a list of ongoing trials, visit www.avac.org/summary-tables.
Prospective applicants or host organizations who want to learn more about this program or have questions about the application process are encouraged to:
- Learn about the application process at www.avac.org/application-process-background.
- Watch two videos featuring past Fellows reflecting on their experience here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUTwcNOKZ8&feature=youtu.be) and here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O4PJMjv220&feature=youtu.be).
- Download the 2018 Advocacy Fellows Information Packet and application materials at www.avac.org/fellows-application-materials.
Visit AVAC's Fellows page (www.avac.org/fellows) for more information on current and alumni Fellows.
Join an informational conference call (cc.readytalk.com/registration/#/?meeting=5eizwp60va0y&campaign=v69u6e9q2s5d) to learn more about the program and ask questions directly to those who lead the program and/or have been a part of it on Thursday, August 10 at 8am New York / 9am Rio / 2pm Johannesburg / 3pm Nairobi / 6pm Mumbai
(Visit www.timeanddate.com to confirm the time in your time zone.)
Register for the call here (cc.readytalk.com/registration/#/?meeting=5eizwp60va0y&campaign=v69u6e9q2s5d).
If you have any questions about the Fellows program or the application process, please email .
Applications are due by FRIDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER 2017.
Please share this information with your partners, and we look forward to receiving your application!