We at GHDonline are excited to announce an upcoming virtual expert panel titled Nurse leaders - shaping the future of global health. It will begin Monday 9/9/13 and continue through Friday 9/13/13. Panelists will be Elizabeth Glaser, Dr Naomi Seboni, Gini Williams and Professor Nthabiseng Phaladze. More information on each of the panelists will be posted on the first day of the panel. Please plan on joining us next week with your questions and comments!
EXPERT PANEL: Nurse leaders - shaping the future of global health
While nurses are very active in the delivery of care around the globe, their roles in policy making, program directing, publishing/research, among others, is sparse. A recent discussion within our own online nursing community revealed, at the time, there was no nurse on the inter-disciplinary advisory board for the Lancet's new global health series. As a result of online community advocacy, a highly experienced nurse was ultimately invited to the Lancet's new series. Using this recent experience as an example, this expert panel will discuss how nurses can do more to be leaders in a field within which they've always worked.
- Getting beyond the question of why this is our current situation, how can nurses be better prepared to fill leadership roles in the field of global health? And how can we best support this among our nurse-colleagues in low-and middle-income countries?
- Taking a broad view of what "leadership role" means, in what types of positions would you like to see nurses?
- In what ways can the nursing community come together to increase the number of nurses leading the field of global health?
- How do you envision yourself to be a nurse leader in the field of global health?
- What are the best ways to bring this topic, and change, to light without creating divisions within the field?
- Is there a role for exclusive fields of global health medicine and global health nursing, versus a mixed inter-disciplinary field?