Global Nursing Caucus 2014 PRE-CONFERENCE: October 26th-31st

By Maggie Sullivan Moderator | 24 Oct, 2014

Welcome everyone to the week before the Global Nursing Caucus Annual Conference! The program is packed (see attached) and time will be short, so to maximize discussions GHDonline will host a pre-conference online conversation open to all. And as a reminder to those far from Boston, if interested, you can "attend" the conference virtually from wherever you are. From human rights law, to cardiovascular health, mhealth, accompaniment models and midwifery, we invite everyone to join in on the conversation!

From the GNC:
"The annual conferences are one of the GNC’s most important initiatives. We believe that bringing nurses together in a focused setting to explore new developments, hear from experts in the field, and share our experiences is one of the most powerful and effective ways to expand the horizons of global health nursing.

Theme - Delivering on Our Promises: Tools for Nursing Advocacy in Global Health

You can register for either Friday, Saturday or both days. Please contact with any questions about registration.

University of Massachusetts Boston
Ryan Lounge
100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125

"Our keynote speaker is Nicole Warren PhD, MPH, CNM. Dr. Nicole Warren is an Assistant Professor and a Certified Nurse Midwife at the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing. She coordinates the Public Health Nursing, Nurse-Midwifery Track at Hopkins which is offered through collaboration with Shenandoah University. Following her Peace Corps Service in Mali, West Africa, she earned her MPH at Johns Hopkins and did her midwifery training and earned her PhD at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Her research focus is on reproductive health in sub-Saharan Africa and among migrant women in the US. Nicole has provided care for refugee and immigrant women in the U.S. and was a founding member of the Midwest Network on Female Genital Cutting. Her most recent research projects addressed work force issues among midwives in rural Mali, family planning demand among couples in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the role of HIV+ migrant women as reproductive health educators for their families back home.

Objectives
•Create a dynamic forum and networking opportunity for nurses to discuss global health
•Demonstrate nurses’ contribution to health care advocacy around the world
•Provide opportunities for nurses and other health care colleagues to share performance measurement tools

Friday October 31st: Skill building sessions
12pm – 5pm
Skills in Advocacy with Pat Daoust and Anne Sliney
Creating logic models for program planning and evaluation with Monita Baba Djara and Monica Onyango

Saturday November 1, 2014
8am – 6pm

If you would like to attend the conference and are located outside the US, please email for a registration form.

Attached resources:

Replies

Barbara Waldorf Moderator Emeritus Replied at 1:27 PM, 25 Oct 2014

Thank you Maggie for starting this conversation. I am very excited about the upcoming GNC conference as there is going to be multiple opportunities to engage in key conversations on advocacy for everyone who is interested in nursing and public health. We will have presentations and discussions on Ebola and it's impact on health workers; on Challenges & Controversies: Rethinking Roles in Global Nursing, and on creating the future of global nursing. In addition, there will be participants from multiple countries who have direct experience in advocacy, direct care, program planning and evaluation. Friday's program will consist of workshops that will give you the tools for advocacy. There will be multiple opportunities for networking and making connections.
I want to encourage everyone who can, to attend either in person or virtually.
Barbara Waldorf
ED Global Nursing Caucus

Jeanne Leffers Replied at 3:00 PM, 25 Oct 2014

Thank you Maggie and Barbara, I too am excited about the upcoming conference. The last one I attended was a wonderful opportunity to meet other nurses both local and beyond who are concerned about global nursing roles, standards and metrics for measurement. Not only did I learn from the outstanding presentations but was able to network with a great number of nurses with a wide variety of experience and expertise. This year will be particularly exciting when you welcome participants from other countries who can join using the latest technology! Thank you to the planners for all the work involved in preparation for an event such as this. I hope to see a great turnout. Jeanne Leffers

Maggie Sullivan Moderator Replied at 7:51 AM, 27 Oct 2014

Thank you, Jeanne, and I look forward to seeing you there. I would like to kick off the week by highlighting a nurse from Mexico. Marina Legorreta will speak about her time living and working as a newly graduated nurse in rural Chiapas, Mexico. Mexico, in addition to other Latin American countries, requires their nurses to complete one year of social service ("pasantia" pronounced pah-sahn-tEEuh) upon graduation and prior to receiving their nursing license. The idea is that rural clinics will have, even if only temporarily, a newly graduated nurse. In reality, and not unlike US professional loan repayment programs, most new grads jockey to remain as close to urban cities/home as possible. The unintended consequence is that many rural clinics remain un/under-staffed. For reasons of race, culture and political history, the states of Chiapas and Oaxaca routinely vie for the ignoble position of "last" in Mexico's statistics for malnutrition, maternal mortality and lack of access to health services. They are the Native American reservations, the Appalacia or the African American communities (take your pick) of Mexico. To be a nurse in these communities is to sign up for hardship. To be a newly-graduated nurse pasante in these communities is more difficult yet. In the Sierra Madre mountain range in rural Chiapas, electricity and running water are not a given; many clinics are not sufficiently stocked with medications or basic supplies; dirt roads, deforestation and rain lead to landslides, making the already difficult-to-access clinics even harder to get to; the clinic may not have physicians, requiring nurses to function beyond their training; regional referral hospitals will be many hours away; and poverty in the communities is ubiquitous. To be an effective nurse in this setting requires fortitude, innovation, resourcefulness and a sense of vocation. It does not take imagination to understand why most nurses (new graduates or otherwise) would shy away from such demands. Marina Legorreta, originally from Guanajuato, graduated from one of Mexico's top universities (Tecnologico de Monterrey) and opted to complete her pasantia in rural Chiapas, in a program supported by Partners In Health's sister organization Companeros en Salud (CES). Marina was CES's first nurse pasante (as opposed to physician pasantes). She will describe her experience and discuss the importance of advocacy, on behalf of patients, rural communities and the profession of nursing.

Questions:
- Is the community/clinic where you work similar to this description?
- Do you think your country's nursing schools should require their new graduates to complete a year of social service in an under-resourced setting?
- How/should nursing schools address the discrepancies in training/education versus practice setting?

Robyn Churchill Replied at 10:55 PM, 27 Oct 2014

I will not be able to attend the conference in person, but am hoping to attend remotely from India, where I will be doing service design research for Merck for Mothers' Project iDeliver. My colleague, Jon Payne, will present our framework for the development of a digital clinical decision support tool and QI program for midwives and skilled birth attendants to make quality improvement in labor wards routine.

We'd love to get feedback:
1. How might a digital clinical decision support tool be used in busy labor wards in low resource settings?
2. What data would be most useful to midwives/nurses on the front lines?
3. Does anyone currently use clinical decision support aids in a labor setting?

See you on Webex!
Robyn

Deborah Wilson Replied at 9:46 PM, 28 Oct 2014

I am looking forward to the conference and am very lucky and honored that Barbara Waldorf is letting me speak with Elizabeth Glaser on cross cultural issues in Global Nursing and the risk to nurses working in the field. I have recently returned from Liberia where I was working in a Ebola treatment Center (ETC) for six weeks. It has been quite a ride returning to the USA!
I am attaching link to the letter I wrote that was published in the NY Times today on the issue of quarantine for returning Health Care Workers.
I am very much looking forward to meeting you all and finding out about all the extraordinary projects that are happening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/opinion/are-ebola-quarantines-necessary.htm...

Debbie WIlson

Maggie Sullivan Moderator Replied at 1:30 PM, 29 Oct 2014

Debbie, thank you so much for including your powerful post. And I'm eager to hear you present at the conference this weekend. If the NY and NJ decisions were made purely for political grandstanding, I agree that is abhorrent. But how much do you think fear and ignorance had to do with their decisions? I can't imagine putting myself at the risk you and your colleagues did, only to return home to an involuntary confinement. And regarding your upcoming presentation on cross cultural issues in global nursing, and the risk to nurses working in the field, which issues did you find most challenging and/or surprising in Liberia?

corina alba Replied at 2:12 AM, 30 Oct 2014

Thank you so much for the opportunity to be here and for the effort you do for bring all this knowledge to us. I hope to learn so much from all of you.
My name is Corina, I am Mexican nurse recently graduated from the PhD. Nursing Program of Nuevo León and I am currently working as a teacher in Universidad de la Sierra Sur in Oaxaca.
Oaxaca is known as one of the states with the most high starvation problems in our country, but now there are some increases in overweight. We think we don´t have to wait until the problem become a big problem to look for a big solution, so we need to start early detection of risk factors in young people and we propose the Global Cardio-Vascular Risk Score by software QRISK® CVD to do it.

-What do you think about the utility to start early in risk factors for cardiovascular diseases instead to wait until have a big problem to deal with?

-The utility of QRISK® CVD is that it calculates the risk even if you don’t have information of blood tests, and that allow one program more cost-effective for our region. Don´t you think?

-The authors of QRISK® CVD says that this tool have better psychometric than other tools and they themselves think that this tool is ready to be proved in other countries

corina alba Replied at 2:20 AM, 30 Oct 2014

Continue with my investigation interests. The second idea I want to share with you is the need to work with other professionals as computer engineers between others in order to create tools as auxiliary in prevention of health problems. For example, to use the ability and the enjoyment that the childrens have to electronic games to create one app that can help to reduce the obesity rates.

Corina Alba

Inge Corless Moderator Replied at 8:28 AM, 30 Oct 2014

I agree with Maggie's remarks and am also looking forward to hearing Deborah Wilson's presentation among others. It seems clear to me that: 1. The current strain of Ebola is not spread other than through exposure to blood and body fluids.
2. Enlightened self interest will have those Health Care Providers who feel ill contacting their providers

3. The U.S. Army is taking precautions of quarantine that are unwarranted scientifically.

Inge Corless Moderator Replied at 8:35 AM, 30 Oct 2014

I wasn't finished with the above response.

4. When else do we have such warning that a person is potentially contagious?
5. With proper care, and with only one unfortunate exception, Ebola Virus Disease infected persons treated in the U.S. have survived.
6. It is essential that we don't create circumstances that will inhibit Health Care Providers from volunteering to go to the countries in western Africa where Ebola is rampant because of the treatment and restrictions they will receive on their return home.

Teresia Garad Replied at 11:18 AM, 30 Oct 2014

I am excited and looking forward to another taught provoking conference! As a nursing student pursing a BSN at Simmons College, it was great to meet and learn from other nurses already working in global health. This conference is a must attend for nursing students interested in going into global health. The atmosphere was welcoming, educational and a great place to meet students with like interests and to network with more seasoned nursing professionals as well.

Teresia Garad

Barbara Waldorf Moderator Emeritus Replied at 8:20 PM, 30 Oct 2014

Debbie Wilson, who will be speaking at the GNC conference on Saturday was interviewed today by Marco Werman on The World at PRI-WGBH. Here is the link to the article and to hear the interview. Another voice of sanity for public health and nursing.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-30/ebola-nurse-faces-widespread-stigma-aft...

Alison Hernandez Replied at 4:33 AM, 31 Oct 2014

Corina, Congratulations on finishing your PhD! I know a computer scientist working with clinical decision-making support tools - he is actually also Mexican. If you send me an email, I can put you in touch.

Maggie Sullivan Moderator Replied at 9:20 AM, 31 Oct 2014

Hi Corina - I'm so glad that you'll be in attendance and that we'll have a nurse from both Chiapas and Oaxaca at the conference. I think any tool, and especially one for cardiovascular risk, that doesn't involve lab testing is imperative for working in rural poor areas. Regulated labs of quality are few and far between in Central America and rural Mexico. Another point-of-care tool I've always wanted are gonorrhea and chlamydia tests, but I know the ones available lack adequate sensitivity. If we have rapid HIV tests, is it that much more difficult to have rapid GC/CT tests? These are important diagnoses especially in border-areas and in sending/receiving communities where there is much migration. And, of course, the cardiovascular disease problem also exists in these hard-to-reach communities. (In the rainy season, it's exceedingly difficulty to access remote mountainous communities. I was recently in Chiapas working my way up a muddy mountain, and down came the "Sabritas" truck - potato chips - as if it was any other day. Apparently the soda and chips trucks make it up and down, rain or shine). So, yes. I am eager to hear about both the opportunities as well as the limitations of measuring cardiovascular disease risk with the QRISK tool.

Maya Guttman-Slater Replied at 11:23 AM, 31 Oct 2014

I am excited to attend (virtually) the Global Nursing Caucus Conference today and Saturday. While I have always appreciated the often overlooked work of nurses, studying public health has made me acutely aware of the critical role nurses play in healthcare delivery, policy, and so much more, both in the US and abroad. As a public health masters student focusing in global health, I have seen the impact nurses have not just in healthcare but in the communities they work in and the relationships they build. Now, more than ever, I am eager to learn about nurses working in global health and would like to explore for myself what it might take to become a nurse!

Maggie Sullivan Moderator Replied at 2:54 PM, 31 Oct 2014

Welcome Maya! Please don't hesitate to post any questions or observations you have. Especially given your perspective as a virtual participant.

>

Elizabeth Glaser Moderator Emeritus Replied at 4:13 PM, 31 Oct 2014

Yes, welcome Maya!

This Community is Archived.

This community is no longer active as of December 2018. Thanks to those who posted here and made this information available to others visiting the site.