Healthcare in the year 2020: NURSING INFORMATICS IN THE SERVICE OF COMMUNITY HEALTH

By Aleksandar Radenovic | 07 Aug, 2013

Increasing implementation of information – communication technology (ICT) in health care sector sets up more and more challenges in front of Nursing as well as in front of every nurse who is taking part in assuring of best results in preservation and improvement of community health.

Technology advances in Nursing had a positive influence on way how healthcare was practiced and it enabled numerous improvements in taking care of patients, documentation creation, exploring and healthcare education. As well as whole heath care, Nursing was also affected with advance of technology and there was also the demand for integration of Nursing as science with computing and informatics science. Unfortunately, advance of informatics – communication technology (ICT) was not as strong as it should be. Responsibility for this kind of advance lies on Nursing as free profession.

What is your opinion on this issue? Is it Nursing as free profession use enough ICT for better, safer and healthy community?

Replies

Maggie Sullivan Moderator Replied at 10:45 AM, 8 Aug 2013

On the topic of informatics, I also wanted to share information about the 12th International Congress on Nursing Informatics in June 2014 in Taiwan (below). Aleksander, I also wanted to clarify what you mean by nursing as a "free profession." That would help, at least me, to better understand the question.

Dates
Saturday, 21 ~ Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Venue
Taipei International Convention Center (TICC)
No.1, XinYi Road, Sec. 5, Taipei, Taiwan

Organized by
Taiwan Nursing Informatics Association (TNIA)

Co-Organized by
Taiwan Association for Medical Informatics (TAMI)
The Taiwan Nurses Association (TWNA)
The National Union of Nurses’ Associations, R.O.C. (NUNA)
National Yang-Ming University

Official Language
The official language of the NI2014 is English.

Congress Secretariat
Ms. Shaan Hsieh
Elite Professional Conference Organizer
4F., No. 20, Ln. 128, Jinye 1st Rd., Taipei 104, Taiwan
Tel: +886-2-8502-7087 Ext. 13 |Fax: +886-2-8502-7025|E-mail:

Welcome Message:
Dear Colleagues,
We are pleased to announce that the Twelfth International Congress on Nursing Informatics (NI2014) will be held in Taipei, Taiwan in 2014. The aim of this congress is to provide a single, high-profile, internationally renowned forum for research in the theory and practice of nursing informatics. Over the years, the congress has been instrumental in the advancement of nursing informatics which has made a great stride toward the provision of an International discussion forum as evidenced by the number of successful meetings held so far.

NI2009 in Finland and NI2012 in Canada successfully attracted over 600 participants. This year, the NI2014 in Taipei will also present the most up-to-dated scientific evidence through our comprehensive scientific program which will cover a wide range of topics to be presented in the invited speakers’ lectures, educational sessions, as well as the Submission-based program.

NI has now reached its twelfth anniversary! We are here to extend our sincerest welcome to all colleagues around the world in the field to come to Taipei. Taipei is feathered by a glamorous blend of tradition and modernity. Along with its colourful beauty, it is full of cultural and festive activities. We hope that in addition to the educational scientific programs, you will have a joyful experience in this beautiful, energetic, friendly and exotic city.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Taipei!

Sincerely yours

Rung-Chuang Feng
Da-Wei Wang
Polun Chang
Chairmen, NI2014

Attached resource:

Aleksandar Radenovic Replied at 11:00 AM, 8 Aug 2013

As free profession I mean on Self-regulated Profession, witch is case in most countries. But, question is did we done enough in self-regulating our profession and where is our freedom, in view of healthcare and still dominated doctor field. Nursing as a 'free' (self-regulated) profession is still young science and also profession. And for sure Nursing isn't enough respected as deserve to be! From my view of that issue I believe that we (Nurses) are guilty as charge :-) If you got a point what I want to say! Development of any free profession must be forced by members it self! We can or we can't use NI as a tool and other question as I pointed in my text above. Cheers...

Aleksandar Radenovic Replied at 11:01 AM, 8 Aug 2013

Nursing is Free / Liberal / Intellectual Professions as self-regulated profession.

Aleksandar Radenovic Replied at 11:09 AM, 8 Aug 2013

The activities of liberal professionals comprise intellectual tasks for the proper discharge of which a high level of legal and technical and sometimes scientific knowledge is required. The necessary knowledge is acquired by the successful completion of studies leading to a degree or diploma of higher education and/or the award of a recognised professional title. In some cases there may be additional requirements leading to registration with a regulatory body before practice is permitted. The liberal professional then becomes subject to the code of conduct applicable to that profession drawn up by the appropriate professional body with a focus on the interests of those who seek services from the professional concerned. That professional is aware that contravention of the provisions of the code may lead to disciplinary sanctions. Clients must have confidence that alleged contravention of the provisions of Codes of Conduct will be treated seriously by the professional body concerned and, if proved, will result in action proportionate to the seriousness of the breach being taken.

SUMMARY: DOES NURSING INFORMATICS AND NURSING AS LIBERAL FREE PROFESSION CAN TAKE A PRIMARY ROLE FOR COMMUNITY HEALTH?!

chris macrae Replied at 11:18 AM, 8 Aug 2013

Aleksandar - I think your idea connects brilliantly with a team mission I have supported since 2008 which is to make nursing trainiing as nearly free as possible while also promoting the idea that the 21st c nurse needs to be communities most trusted information networker. This probably means that will be a whole range of nursing jobs - some specialized , some the most basic empowering/mobilising trust and widespread connectivity with the community

several places that I watch almost every day fir advancing this are the partners in health nursing college in Haiti and the khanacademy healthcare library- where do you recommend young people go first to see how to link these sorts of ideas together- I don't know east Europe very well but it would be interesting to see if there are connections that can be built with soros open society as I know that eg he and paul farmer support each others work

Aleksandar Radenovic Replied at 11:34 AM, 8 Aug 2013

Chris, I agree with you completely. Nurses place is in COMMUNITY!

Andrija Štampar, founder of World Health Organization say: "The people should be studied, people need to be taught!"

In today world there ICT and information is ALL, what HEALTHCARE or NURSING done? Not too much, or?

We from South-East Europe Nursing Community together with Innovator network of The Nikola Tesla Foundation made Internet Nursing & Health Academy with just one goal, give imagination, innovation, knowledge and wisdom to everyone?

Why we don't have global Healthy TV station? Why we don't have Nursing TV Chanel? Why we don't have all theoretical subject of Nursing knowledge free of charge to all Nurses worldwide? WHY?

Why we have still monopoly on public health by physician / doctors?

And what Nursing Informatics and ICT can done?

Much, but we need unity, not this what we have in World Nursing Community, on local and international level. Monopoly and capitalism doen't make nothing for healthy community.

Today nursing organizations as all other organization exist for self, his goal is to take membership fee or something else, but primary goal is itself preserving of positions and traveling all around world.

What I or my patient have from ICN Congress where for money from Nurses members sitting down and traveling on our costs? From our membership fees?

Today, ICT and Nursing informatics can make (r)Evolution for both of us, Community and Nursing itself.

That is just my short opinion on same topics....

Imagination, Innovation, Knowledge and Wisdom to EVERYONE!!!

Cheers,

Alex

Tess Panizales, DNP, MSN, RN Replied at 10:23 PM, 8 Aug 2013

Given the shortage of nurses - IT has a big place to help fill the void.
We need to set standards of practice, regulatory standards, licensure
agreement across states, and facilitate continuous education to this new
process of care delivery so care can remain safe, and of high quality when
using new technology.

Nursing is a profession and independent by itself, we collaborate as part
of an interdisciplinary team. We have governing bodies to maintain
standards of practice.

Nursing needs to be proactive and willing to change to adapt to the ever
changing technology in meeting the needs of patients. We shld find ways to
use technology to effectively manage care delivery,. it should not disable
our role but enable to our roles to a better patient nurse dyad in
achieving health.